I was called in as a replacement of my friend for an exam proctor today. What a new experience!
At first I was pretty stunned of how it was arranged. But thinking more of it, I think it also happened the similar way when I attended school in the U.S. -- so totally different from how we do it in Thailand.
Usually, in Thailand (or at least where I graduated from), there are name lists for students eligible to take final exams for each class. The names are matched with student ID and exam seatings are arranged according to that. All students are asked to sign the attendance sheet as proctors checking student IDs. The exam question and answer sheets are distributed accordingly.
Here in Japan, first of all, students choose their own seating. For this class I proctored, the number of students was more than individual number of table, so the students sat shoulder by shoulder. (Absolutely easy to cheat if you want to!) There was no record of who sat where. I really wonder WHAT IF the students actually cheated and copied others' answers, how could professors recognize it was because they were seated next to each other? Maybe it's the Japanese thing? Trusting? Nah.. I don't think so.. But I don't know what it was.
The thing is ... I actually saw one particular students looking over other person's paper!! I don't think the guy being looked at recognized it. This student stared at this guy's paper the whole time! Maybe he attempted to, but couldn't read this guy's handwriting, so it took him longer than usual to stare. haha. This student was piling all his stuff right next to his table which is by one side of the room. It blocked the walking way, so I couldn't walk through from the front to the back of the room or stand that close to him. I have no idea if he did it on purpose or not. But if it was on purpose, he was really something. hur hur. Anyways, I scared him by moving myself over and standing only 10 meters away from him once in a while. It was really funny cuz every time I moved closer to him, he completely stopped staring and facing the opposite while keep on writing something on his paper. I have no idea what he wrote. Also I have no idea if his answer was anything relevant. But hey.. maybe I was helping him writing something on his paper without looking at someone else's answer! haha. (Forgot to tell, it was the essay writing exam on 1 question) I really wonder what this student thought of me. Weren't I evil? \(^^)\
Anyways, I will have one more exam to proctor next week. Hopefully this guys doesn't take that course, otherwise he will surely receive my great attention! ieie. (someone said no second chance, right?) Proctoring an exam made me have to get up so early in the morning. I think I yawned in the exam room too. haha.
P.S. I have come to realize that when students were proud of all the cheating tools they use and never get caught, it was actually not because of student's cheating skill, but it was because the proctors' generousity. You can see absolutely nearly EVERYTHING happening in the exam room if you pay enough attention! =P
P.P.S. I got a VDO and pictures from the Foreign Student Music Festival today from the event staff. Already watched it... and .. er... there were so many funny shots! Riding on that chance, I had a great chatting at the cafe with one of them (Tamura-san) this afternoon. :)
8 comments:
that's my way to earn good extra money!
Here we call it "an invigilator"
but the exam hall here is a BIG lecture hall, no way they can look over their mates. They can sit anywhere. It's quite laid back. They can bring coffee/tea in and they can go to a washroom anytime they want.
No ID checking because there're only 30 people in a class. We just count.
There's a protocol anyway though...
There must always be 2 invigilators. If one spotted student who might cheat, one has to tell the other invigilator to observe that particular student and then if the two agree, they can deal with the bad student.
And as for the washroom thing, if the student had gone for too long, one of the invigilator will go check.
But so far, I never had any problem and I get paid CAN$20 an hour by just sitting there!
น่าหนุกอ่ะ คุมสอบเนี่ย
พูดถึงเรื่องลอกข้อสอบ
เคยมีรุ่นพี่ที่โบรู้จักคนนึง เรียนนิติฯอ่ะ
เค้าเป็นคนที่เก่งมากๆๆๆ คนนึง จริงๆไม่ต้องลอกก็น่าจะทำได้อยู่แล้วอ่ะ
แต่ไม่รู้ทำไมวันนึงเค้าลอก...
โดยใช้อุปกรณ์ทางวิทยาศาสตร์ อืมมม
ใช้แว่นสีแดงตัดแสงๆไรเนี่ย แล้วมองไปตรงที่ที่สายตาปกติจะมองไม่เห็น..คืออธิบายไม่ถูกอ่ะ เพราะโบไม่เข้าใจวิทยาศาสตร์ เหอๆๆ เอาเป็นว่ากะว่าใครจับไม่ได้อ่ะ
แต่ว่าอาจารย์ดันจับได้แฮะ...
เลยต้องจบช้ากว่าเพื่อนเลย
คือจริงๆแล้วมันเป็นเรื่องน่าเศร้าง่ะ แต่โบว่ามันขำมากกว่าที่เสาะหาวิธีลอกข้อสอบแบบนี้มาใช้ได้ เหอๆ
ขอโทษนะคะ ที่เอามาเผา เหอๆ
(แต่เค้าคงไม่ได้มาอ่านตรงนี้หรอกนะ -_-")
面白そう!やってみて観察したいな。ハハ:):)
เคยมีพี่ที่รู้จักเป็นอาจารย์แล้วเค้าก็คุมสอบนักศึกษาอยู่บ่อยๆ ก็ชอบมาเล่าอะไรๆตลกๆให้ฟังอ่ะ ถ้าใหม่คุมสอบบ่อยๆก็คงจะเจอเรื่องแปลกๆมากขึ้นเรื่อยๆ อิอิ
แล้วคนที่ลอกข้อสอบนั่น ญี่ปุ่นเหรอ?
"an invigilator" sounds like 'an allegator' to me!! haha. Hope you didn't eat any of the students na. =P Btw, I don't know if I will be paid for this. Even if I am, the rate for in-school part-time job is only 700 or 800 yen/hour (for MA student) and 50 yen higher for a Ph.D. or so. Don't remember it exactly. You can't get rich from this for sure.
Let's see if I will have more stories to tell about this. แต่คิดว่าคุมสอบเด็กไทยน่าจะมีเรื่องเล่ามากกว่าคุมเด็กญี่ปุ่นแน่นอน
nonny- ชอบมาตอนดึกๆนะเนี่ยะ ก็.. คนญี่ปุ่นนั่นแหล่ะ แต่ก็แปลกใจนะที่คนอื่นไม่ลอก เรากะว่าเราน่าจะเจออะไรมากกว่านี้ แถมคนนี้ลอกแบบ.. เบสิ๊ค... เบสิค จับได้เห็นๆไม่ต้องทำไรเลย
江さん:後1週間くらいだよね。頑張ってなぁ~。こちらも応援してるから。(^^)暇な時、私のブログを翻訳してみ!フフ
เราเคยไปคุมสอบสองที ไม่เห็นไ้ด้ตังค์เลย เห็นเด็กมองแบบ มันก็ไม่กลัวเราเลยนะ นั่งอยู่สองคนหน้าสุด เราเดินไปอยู่หน้าเด็กสองคนนั่น ก็ยังลอกอีก !!! บ้าไปแล้ว เราเลยต้องบอกอาจารย์ อาจารย์บอกว่า มันซ้ำชั้นมาแล้ว ปล่อยมันเถอะ ....แป่ววว
๋เอ๋น่่ะ มันกด enter เร็วไปหน่อย
Post a Comment