Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Unexpected Tofukuji Trip (11/28/05)

This trip was totally an unplanned one. Uncle Ump, my mom's friend, came to Japan on his work and all of the sudden, we decided to meet up for lunch. Jill and I went over to see him at his hotel near Kyoto Station. So after our late lunch, we took a short trip to Tofukuji. My first time to this temple was around this time of the year in 2001. Of course, I came over for Koyo (red leafs) sightseeing from Nagoya (which was where I stayed at that time.) Sooooooo much crowd at that time. I never thought I would be coming back here during this season again. But hey.. I did!


Tofukuji is one of the Five Great Zen Temples of Kyoto. It was buit in the 13th century with the aim to be comparable to Todaiji and Kofukuji, the great temple complexes in Nara. No wonder this temple is with this name; To + fuku + ji. And it is a HUGE complex! It is especially famous for beautiful koyo. I think so too. When you look through the temple -- it was just totally reddish, both on the trees and on the ground! Even the leaf's quality is not that good this year, the overall look is still marvelous.

First scene when you enter the temple ground

A view from Tsuten-kyo Bridge

Another view from the bridge

Bunch of leafs

with uninvited white-shirt guest -_-')

I somehow like this picture a lot

Jill and Uncle Ump

on our way back to the station

3 comments:

Oakyman said...

เสียดายวันอาทิตย์แดดไม่ค่อยดีอะ เลยถ่ายรูปออกมาได้สีไม่สดเท่าไหร่

Anonymous said...

Hi Mai chan!
Long time no see.
I know it's all my fault! I'd like to catch up with you sometime.
Although you may be too busy with
study and other things.

Koyo is so beautiful. I can imagine
how crowded Kyoto has been!
hahaha.

Hope to see you soon!!!

Anonymous said...

beautiful momiji again!
now it's winter here leaw la...check out my flickr!