P'Big also came by for a few days, so we all went to Ryoanji and Arashiyama.
We started our day quite early since we had to make good time to work out with our sightseeing plan. It was a Sunday and only a few buses running per hour. We really don't want to miss any of that and have to wait 20-30 minutes for the next one. So we reached Ryoanji, our first destination, by 9 a.m. We really made a good decision cuz there weren't that many people there just yet when we arrived.

Ryoanji is a temple famous for rock garden which is highly influenced by Zen art. The garden only measures 25 meters from east to west and 10 meters from north to south. No trees, only 15 rocks and white gravel there. Taken a claim from the temple pamphlet "It is up to each visitor to find out for himself what this unique garden signifies. The longer you gaze at it, the more varied your imagination becomes." You can simply sit there and take a look at the rock pattern. It is known to be the inspiration for philosophical meditation.


'Kyoyochi Pond' where mandarin ducks can be seen

so red by the pond

some kind of fruit
Then, we made our way to Arashiyama - the mountain lying along the west side of Kyoto.
Arashiyama is famous for the monkey seeing, boat paddling, the bridge to the moon, Tenryuji Temple, bamboo grove and a few others.
We first took a stroll along the bamboo grove, then stopped by to have lunch. When we got to the main street of Arashiyama, 'OMG!... where the heck are all these people coming from?!?!' They had to rearrange the trasportation route and make it a one lane street, so there would be more room for walking people.
Arashiyama Donburi
After lunch, we paid a visit to Tenryuji Temple, one of the world heritage temples here. The main attraction of this temple is the 'Sogen Garden' located right in front of the main hall. Tenryuji is much like Ryoanji in the sense that it has something related to rocks. Ryoanji is rocks in the white gravel. Tenryuji is rocks in the water. Here, you can sit by the main hall overlooking the pond. It's very interesting to see how wind direction and water flow make effect to the standing rocks. Great meditation, I suppose.

'Sogen Garden, Tenryuji Temple'

by the wall of Tenryuji Temple

part of Tenryuji Temple
We walked through the bamboo grove over and up the mountain and had great look of the river. There were many great spots for the red leafs. Beautiful.
In the park along the path
v(^^)v

Paddling in Arashiyama (so crowded today!!!)
Along the walk by the river, we found this very interesting street art. My first time to see one of this kind. This lady can make you a paper-cut portrait. Her equipment includes really only the white and black papers, scissors and glue. No drafting. No anything. She can talk to you while still cutting the paper and still makes it comes out just like you! So amazing!!

Interesting street art.

one of the customers and his finished product
We then walked across the bridge and back. Then grabbed so good soft-cream by the bus stop. While we were talking, one Japanese guy who was working as a transportation volunteer came up to us and asked 'คนไทยรึเปล่าครับ สวัสดีคร้าบบบ' ('Are you Thai? Sawasdee Kraaaab~~~' in Thai), then continued chatting away! He speaks just like a Thai!! So impressive. He said he just loves Thailand so much and he has been there 30 times already. (this man is in his 30s, I think.) So overwhelming.

The famous bridge to the moon

pBig and Hoji tea & Taro ice cream
Our trip in Arashiyama ended there at the bus stop. =) But our day was still young. We went over to Ishii family house to have dinner together. My first time to see them after Papa is back from Canada and I'm back from Thailand. Today Yuichiro-kun (the youngest son) couldn't come join us -- too bad. Rise-chan (the granddaughter) grew up a lot in the past 6 months we didn't meet. And I will be here for a few years to see she grows up more. It's kinda scary to think how big she can get in the next 2-3 years. =) Always a great fun time with this family.

beloved Ishii family
p.s. Happy Birthday na ka mommy!!
6 comments:
รูปรถลากในป่าไผ่ถ่ายสวยดีนะ
เท็นริวจินี่ไม่ได้เข้าไปข้างใน คนต่อคิวเยอะมาก
เลยดูแค่สวนรอบนอก ไม่ได้เข้าไปดูสระน้ำ
คนตัดกระดาษนั่นอเมซิ่งมาก
เก่งโคตร (ไม่ได้เห็นเองหรอกนะ)
อิจฉาหว่ะ โคตรน่าไปนั่งนิ่ง เหม่อดูวิวไปเรื่อยๆ
(แกล้งทำเป็นไม่เห็นว่าคนเยอะ)
คนตัดกระดาษนั่นเก่งจริงๆ
แล้วหนาวขนาดนี้ยังกิน soft cream อีก!
I think I would skip arashiyama this year. I remembered the CROWD from last year and after temple hopping in Kyoto for autumn (with the CROWD), I think I need a break. Besides, no money! Hahaha...
Btw, I think the fruit is persimmons or kaki. I think....
Beautiful weekend for you...
คนตัดกระดาษนั่นเก่งจริงๆ... ตอนเราเดินไปถึงกันเนี่ยะ เค้ากำลังจะทำของคู่นึงเสร็จ เราก็แบบ... อยากรู้จริงๆว่าเค้าตัดยังไง มีร่างอะไรก่อนมั้ย เลยตกลงนั่งดูเค้าตัดของลูกค้ารายต่อไปด้วย เห็นแล้วก็อเมซิ่งจริงๆ
AL - I thought it was Kaki too... but the shape was kinda unusual, so I wasn't too sure.
geng makkk!!....no outline no no no arai lei....
Post a Comment