
If you are a visitor to Kyoto, you probably recognize a Japanese Character 「大」written on the mountain to the eastern side of Kyoto. Have you ever wonder what it is?
Every year at this time (August 13-16, the total of 4 days) is what known as 'O-bon' in Japanese. It is a Buddhist event in which they believe the spirits of their ancestors return to the world to visit them. (something similar to เช็งเม้ง of Chinese tradition.) They would lit up the welcome fire (most of the time being paper lanterns, candles, etc.) on the 13th, then a farewell fire on the 16th to send the spirits back to their world.
Daimonji is the farewell fire being lit up on the mountains surrounding Kyoto City. According to the story of Obon, there is no written document on when, who and for what purpose there is a Daimonji Ceremony. But it has been carried out years after years and eventually became a symbol of Kyoto for Obon festival. It is well-known as being Kyoto's Obon Cerebration.
Currently, there are 5 mountains with 6 Japanese Characters written on, Dai「大文字」, Myo & Ho「妙法」, Boat Shape「船形」, small Dai「左大文字」and a Shrine Gate「鳥居形」. The story said that before Meiji-era, there were actually 5 more mountains 「い」、「一」、「竹の先に鈴(竿に鈴)」、「蛇」、「長刀」to make up 10 farewell fire mountains. But the characters somehow were naturally covered up during the time when Obon celebration was not permitted for several years some time ago.

I missed seeing Daimonji last year, so I made a promise to myself to have to see it this year. I have to thank p'Nha for letting me go up her faculty's building's rooftop which allowed us to see all the 5 mountains (see the mark on the attached map), though some was too far to catch a good view. (Most of the places you can only see one or two.) Also my camera is really in a poor condition. The pictures here are the best you can get out of it. (How I wish my new camera arrives sooner!)
6 comments:
a good coverage on Obon..
you are a fast blogger
Eddie
Hmmm...quite educational B)
I would like to see Shrine gate but it's to far and so lazy. hahaha ^^ it's one thing amazing in kyoto.....
eddie - I know why it is the 5 mountains instead of 6 now. You know?
Haha.good good....I don't need to research about Obon now!
AL
AL - waiting to see your pictures!!!
Post a Comment