Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Crazy weekend

our great BBQ spot

Well... as you know... we had that party on Friday for p'Oat. Saturday - I went in town to get some stuff to bring back home with me. Then, a supposed-to-be-by-a-river BBQ party among the Malays and 2 Thais (me and p'Ton). Like Ai Ling said... it is the funniest and saddest BBQ I have ever attended. There were so many reasons why it didn't work though -- the strong wind, the too-small grill, the too bad chacoals ... and the unexperience us. None of us has started the BBQ fire here in Japan before, I think. At least I haven't. We tried so many ways for hours to get the fire to start, but obviously we didn't succeed. It got pretty dark out and there were no lights by the riverbank, so we decided to go back to p'Ton's place to have the house BBQ party instead. It was indeed a good idea to go home. We were saying that the next time you want to do the ourdoor BBQ, get some Japanese to help us. They are really good at BBQing!

Kamo Riverbank
the problematic fire!
This guy probably finished his book while we were trying to get the fire to start!


Right after the party, Sheuo-Hui and I went to Kobe. Yeah, in the middle of night -- going to Kobe. We had an appointment with Mary, my great friend from AYF (my Japanese Language School). I got to meet with Nini and Alay, our kohai from AYF as well (รุ่นน้อง or lowerclassmates -- depending on how you wanna call that). It has been a really long time since I last see them two. It's so nice to catch up with them again. You guys good luck on your exams!!!

On Sunday, we intended to go to a Bazaar with Nona, one of Mary's friends. But I think they are jinxed. There was no Bazaar that day. =P So we walked, walked, walked and walked the whole day through Kobe's shopping streets. I think we walked the whole city already. haha. Btw, Nona, don't worry, we all spent some money. ;-)
our lovely Nona
do you think I ate all these? (please don't say YES to that!!) =P
Sheuo-Hui and Mary

I always have good fun times in Kobe. But it is always a tiring trip. I crashed right after I got back home that day... ^^

5 comments:

Bikku said...

Wow...I love BBQing. The fire has always been a trouble. I found out that, sometimes, if you let the chacoals soaked for a good 15 minutes. I guess the wind factor affects it too. Anyway, please say hi to Mary for me. I'm looking forward to Kobe again ;)

Anonymous said...

I sometimes use self-starting briquettes but to avoid petroleum taste, let the charcoal burn to a gray ash coating before you put the food on the grill.

I saw some people use lighter fluid too and I think it works under the same rules.

Anyway, summer is almost over, so you better hurry if you wanna do another BBQ.

Anonymous said...

so basy weekend..... u r still hyper. hahaha

noomai said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
noomai said...

nah.. we probably won't have time to do another BBQ before I leave. Btw, we DID use everything possible to create the fire - fire starter (I think it's the same as your self-starting briquettes na pYai), oil jelly, papers and all the burnables. But it was really our bad day , nothing worked! -_-' But it was fun though. It was too shameful that it turned out so funny for us.