Monday, August 08, 2005

Ikkyusan and Kinkakuji

Yippee! Finally I know how the two are related!!

Ikkyusan


For some reasons, when the Thais talk about Kinkakuji they always mention Ikkyusan. I also one of those who watched Ikkyusan Anime when I was a kid, but I just don't have even a slight memory of the two being related. Just over a month ago, one of my friends in Kansai posted a forum about 'the True story of Ikkyu-san', that was when my question sparked again. 'How is Ikkyu-san related to Kinkakuji???'

I even had a chance to visit Ankokuji, a temple where Ikkyu was first ordained. It is no doubt located in Kyoto Prefecture, about an hour away from Kyoto city by car. It was very peaceful and the scenery was just amazing. But it gave me no answer to my long hold question.
Ankokuji, Kyoto


It was not until a few days ago when I found another forum talking about Kinkakuji, Ikkyusan and Ankokuji. I fired away my wonder again. And there came the answer. Kinkakuji was actually the place where Shogun (in the anime) lives. Whenever he wants to meet Ikkyu-san, he always asked Shinemon-san (the samurai) to call Ikkyu over from Ankokuji for a visit. According to my key answerer, in the anime, when the scene of Shogun appears, the camera always pans over the golden pavilion and once in a while zooms over the cock-like sculpture on the top of the pavilion also.
Kinkakuji, Kyoto


There is even a book called 'Ikkyu-san and Kinkakuji's secret room'. I wonder if anyone had read it.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who came across my silly question. Now I know the answer! =P

4 comments:

Bikku said...

Ah...enlightening! Thanks for sharing it krub ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh George it's wonderfullll. i like it.

Anonymous said...

oh my mai...u utilize every singer minute of your life..how good u are.

Anonymous said...

Wow Ankokuji temple just looks like in the animation! Never think it is still exist!!!