Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bye Bye KhunTa KhunYai @ Sattaheep


Our family members gathered at Sattaheep Navy Base to final farewell our beloved grandma/grandpa. Being married to each other for more than 60 years, my grandma left my grandpa in late March 2006 at the age of 88. My grandpa followed last year’s late July at the age of 89. I’m not so sure of which tradition it is that we do this so-called “Loy Unkarn” ceremony in which we float ashes at the sea. But I was told it’s how we let the souls lie in peace. (P’Yai said she saw it off from some movies that some other foreign countries also believe in leaving the ashes where you think the souls desire to be too.)


Being located in a nice bay area in Chonburi Province to the Eastern Thailand, Sattaheep Navy Base was often asked to assist in the ceremony that they now offer it as a regular service. I’m not sure, again, how many services they do each day, but only one group is allowed every one hour. Ours was marked 10 a.m. of Monday, December 24, a day after the historical National Election 2007.

beautiful sea at Sattaheep

Escorting grandpa/grandma on board

during ceremony

grandpa-grandma


forever at sea

สถิตย์ทั่วแต่ชั่วดี ประดับไว้ในโลกา

the four sisters


Only the memories of yours that last forever in our minds.
Love you ka Khun ta, Khun yai.

************

The dock we used was right by the Royal Thai Navy’s Sea Turtle Conservation Center, where I had a chance to swing by to take a look. Dad taught us how to classify “Tao’ Kra (เต่ากระ)” and “Tao’ Tanu (เต่าตะนุ)” by looking at their shells. But man, at a glance, they really look alike! Please don't ask me now which is which. I already forgot. =P

little sea turtle

เต่านักเลง กำลังไล่ตบกันอยู่เลย


Place: Sattaheep Navy Base, Chonburi Province, Thailand

1 comment:

*BoW* said...

ขนลุกเลย ...

เคยดูหนังเกาหลีก็มีลอยอังคารเหมือนกันนะ

เข้ามาร่วมไว้อาลัยด้วยค่ะ