Monday, April 06, 2009

Nikko

Nikko is one of the most famous world heritage sites in Japan. I'm sure that most tourists visiting Japan must have visited Nikko before. Locating in Tochigi prefecture, Nikko is actually a small town at the entrance of Nikko National Park. It's famous for Toshogu Shrine (the shrine with that 3 monkeys symbol) and draws the most tourists during the red-leaf season.

I've traveled through Japan in the past 5 years, but can you believe I had never been to Nikko before?? Riding on the chance of visiting Tokyo, I bought a special discount ticket by Tobu Railway to visit Nikko alone on a rainy weekday. (For more information on Tobu tickets, check out Tobu Website: only available to foreigners).

Tobu Nikko Station

I woke up REALLY late that morning and departed Tokyo a few hours later than expected. This trip was planned as an overnight trip with the first day in Nikko - Kinugawa Onsen area and the second up to Fukushima Prefecture. But since I already lost a few hours on the first day, I had to rearranged the plan as I go.

World Heritage Bus

Reaching Nikko a little after noon time, I stuffed my luggage in the locker and caught a bus to Toshogu Shrine. The shrine is only a few minutes walk from Omote-sando bus stop. It was sprinkling and snowing lightly when I arrived. It was just like walking in the dream with that foggy atmosphere. ;-)





1,000 yen ticket set gets you to most sites in Nikko area, except for the sleeping cat inside Toshogu Shrine


Toshogu Shrine is a mausoleum (burial chamber) of Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of Tokugawa Shokunate. It was built beautifully in the forest with simple architecture. However Ieyasu's grandson extended the structure into a more complex architecture as seen presently.

Toshogu Shrine


The shrine is famous for the three monkeys carving: Hear no evil - Speak no evil - See no evil. There were actually a series of these monkeys portraying important teaching of how to live a life.




Around Toshogu Shrine: there was much of a Chinese influence in the architecture.







Out and around Nikko Town








this 'age-yuba-manjyu' in front of Tobu Nikko station was VERY tasty!


After leaving Nikko, I headed directly to Kinugawa Onsen using the same Tobu pass. It didn't get me there any earlier than 5.30 p.m. The ryokan I stayed was the cheapest I could find and it really looked cheap (T_T). Good thing it had quite a good onsen and nice view from the hotel room.




Kunigawa night veiw from my hotel

2 comments:

Bikku said...

Beautiful photos! It was also snowing when I was there in 2005. Would like to go back again T_T

a~u~m said...

keep up posting naka, i'll also keep up reading ka:)