Sunday, February 25, 2007

AYF Family

The longer the time has passed, the more I become founded using this word - AYF Family.


Today, I joined our AYF reunion, again at the Japan Foundation Kansai Center where we had a welcome party for the 11th batch people in July last year. It was really nice to see these people again.

Welcome Speech by Eto-Sensei, AYF Screening committee

We had an opening speech by Eto-sensei, a screening committee of AYF. Here is what he told us:
What would you need to be in school and live in a Japanese society?
(1) good health - take care of your good health. It's the first condition you need to have in order to start doing something else,
(2) smily face - that's what you will need to get into a society, and
(3) interests - find something you feel "interesting" to do for your research. It will help you steer your motivation and excitement to get things done.
I just love how simple his speech was, but rich of meaningful messages. :)

Then, we had our 5th batch senior, Karen, to address introduction speech on behalf of AYF alumni before we headed out for lunch and free time sessions.
lunch toast with Hara-san, AsiaSEED representative

toast~~

Of course, AYF is not only about serious stuff, we also had fun with a short karaoke session at the karaoke center within this Japan Foundation Kansai Center. Quite a decent life in here, huh!

.... and mingling with old friends ...
8th batch members with Fujimoto-san: Pradith, Phao, Mai, Neri, Sheuo-Hui, Trang and Min

AYF: Who's Who?

my Thai kohai

Afternoon session was probably a nightmare to our AYF fresh graduates. They all have worries about how they lives will be once they enter a Japanese university and education system. Some of us, eventhough already enrolled in the upper education course, sometimes still struggle through our ways. This was what we all could help each other. Not to hide all the scary facts, but to shared with everyone our direct experiences - good and bad. We had Karen, our 5th batch senior shared with us her life as a Masters, but got totally sick on her last year of Masters Course in which forced her to drop out of school and lost her scholarship. Now she is back doing her Ph.D. on her own expense. Then, Amapola, our 7th batch senior who is about to graduate her Ph.D. program this year. Then, Pradith and I!(Yeah yeah.. I was working.. working! =P)
Pradith's speech
my speech


Of course, we had a Q&A session in which we freely asked each other anything possible. The great part was to have our AYF screening/steering commitees participated in answering questions and giving comments. It was great hearing something from professors' point of view. Some facts are hard to believe, but we just need to live with!
Q&A session with our AYF keypersons' participation


I can fully say I never feel regret being a part of this AYF program. I've also said today during my speech, it was my pure luck to be here. (I started off with an application to Monbugakakusho Scholarship via the Embassy, but ended up with the AYF program unintentionally.) I always recall the moment I received the phonecall learning I was still allowed to join AYF program eventhough the program has already started. I have fought my ways through goods and bads and I know, somehow, that the AYF people are watching over me. I'm grateful to the AYF program to have given me this chance. I'm especially thankful for the trust and confidence they all have in me. Sometimes I don't have that trust or confidence myself, but I promise, I will not let you down.

As Hara-san (AsiaSEED) and Prof.Moriizumi (AYF Steering Committee) have stated it well in their closing speeches. We are from different background and different ways of life, but we are all here united as an AYF family. Whenever you need someone, you can be sure this AYF family is always there for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prof. Eto looked very relaxed there. Cool!