Thursday, December 21, 2006

another challenge of life

Well, someone said she would be reading my update from the blog, so here we go!

My first presence at the international conference was over. I was given a slot for oral presentation at the last session of the last day of a 3-day Asia Academy of Management Conference in Tokyo. I'm not going to talk about what I did for my research and what I present about. I just feel I'm stormed with different feelings now.

I have to admit that I do feel quite different from before I came to the conference and after. People who have experiences in Ph.D. life probably can relate to what I'm saying. I used to think that I would just take what-so-ever happens during the life in doctoral course. If I graduate, I graduate. If not, then I don't. Not a big deal. But for some reasons, something striked me and I came to feel that if I'm not putting in hard enough, I won't get anything out of it. And since I'm already in it, why don't I just try my best and see? So yes, now I'm on a move, though I still feel my path is completely unclear. One professor I met said 'being lost in the sea' is a process of being a Ph.D. student. It's normal to not knowing what to do, but as long as you keep finding the way out of it, you eventually will.

It was a really good feeling to be at the conference, my very first conference. I'm feeling I am entering a completely new world that I have never had any true exposure with before (though I had been in a research field since my Masters). But I take it as a good thing cuz it means that I will have something to look forward to and that I know there are people who are willing to share ideas with and help guiding me through my rocky road.

At this stage, I feel I know completely NOTHING. I hope that in the near future I would find SOMETHING. It's a matter of time and effort, I guess. My gratitude is extended to all the professors and friends I have met and acquainted with during the conference. Let's wait and see how I will do in the next few years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I share with you, noo Mai'.
"I would just take what-so-ever happens during the life in doctoral course. If I graduate, I graduate. If not, then I don't. Not a big deal." said you.
I also used to think like that during my first year of doctoral studies. One day, I went to c my prof. and explained my forthcoming research... and He replied to me indifferently that "your knowledge is only at primary school level"..
That day was a turning point of my studies. His insult hinted me that I have not worked hard enough, and I admitted it.
That you believe you know completely nothing shall be a starting point for your good research and PhD degree. I encourage you krab. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey dear,

I am just starting Phd and already I am assailed with so many questions about what to do and what direction should I take. I am still at a lost and with a worry that I might never find a way out. I understand how you feel cause I feel that way too. And it is even more terrifying to think about what will happen after all this. Will I get a job? Where? How? Most importantly, do I have what it takes to be out there?
All I can say is let us gambatte together! We will be "lost" together but we can find our way out together!

Ai Ling