... er... i think there have been quite misunderstanding from my last blog, especially to nong nong.
Erm... I'm not sure if you were thinking I could just graduate with that one paper I got published. It's not that na. This is just an extra work from the full dissertation. A MUST for Ph.D. graduate is the dissertation that contains your original thoughts on research work. To my best knowledge, speaking of disseration, there are a few types.
1) the book style that contains several chapters speaking ellaborating the one main theme you want to convey.
2) the combination of journal publications from the similar topics and bind them together with introduction and summary chapters to make all goes in the same flow.
For Japanese univesities, they rely heavily on journal publication. To be able to file for graduation request, you need to have a certain number of journal publication along side your dissertation. This number varies from department to department, from professor to professor.
If you talk to P'P' in the scientific area and you hear them say 3 papers, it usually means they need to publish 3 journal papers and they can bind them in a dissertation in (2) style and file for graduation request (and usually can graduate without problems).
For my case, according to the graduation guideline from my department, I need to have my dissertation + ONE journal paper which if not already published, the manuscript needed to be accepted for publication. That was why I was so happy I got my paper accepted and counted toward graduation requirement. I KNEW even with that, I still need to write my dissertation -- not yet being able to graduate der~.
I thought further that I could write my dissertation like the way P'P' can, i.e. focusing on writing 2 more papers and bind them together, then I will be done. But no, I was told I cannot. I need to go with (1) style and not with (2). And on top of that, my professor prefers us to write THREE journal papers. So meaning that the workload I estimated was not totally right. I found out later from my senpai that ONE of the three journal papers MUST BE in Japanese! So there!
I understood absolutely well why I need to get all these works done for graduation requirement though. Things in social science aren't quite relying on facts like scientific stuff. So thoughts on the same topics vary from people to people. If you go up defending your paper without a backup of any publication, you leave your paper quite a large loophole to be attacked and there is a high chance you will not be able to graduate. So the journal paper will help give your paper strength, to confirm it is something widely accepted as contributions to current researches. Of course, three papers speak better than one. And my professor gives a further sight on graduates' chance of finding jobs in Japan. For foreign students, he encourages us to write a paper in Japanese, so we would be able to say that we have some proficiency in using Japanese. Plus, if we do researches in English and in the field not necessarily related to Japan, then the question of why we need to be in Japan will appear. So yes, all the required works have explanation in themselves. I don't have objections to that. Just that all these are out of required elements I prepared for. (อุตส่าห์เช็คมาอย่างดีกับระเบียบของคณะ... อาจารย์ดั๊นนนไม่ตามคณะอีก แต่ถ้าให้เลือกก็ทำตามอาจารย์อยู่ดี เพราะว่าถ้าไม่ทำเนี่ยะ.. โอกาสเจออะไรแบบตอนดีเฟนด์ธีสิสป.โทอีกทีก็มีเยอะมากๆ ไม่เอาอ่ะ.. เจอครั้งนั้นครั้งเดียวพอละ)
Anyways, I think things will be alright. It was like a shock to me when I first heard about it. Now I think I'm coping with it alright and starting to have a clearer picture of which path I need to follow. So now that we all know my requirements, let's wait and see how I can accomplish them together. :)
6 comments:
In conclusion, you will
1. write a dissertation which your prof. choose a book-format for you;
2. write 2 journal articles in English and 1 in Japanese according to your prof extra requirement; and
3. get at least 1 of those articles published to fulfill dept's requirement to graduate.
Right? That's not bad except the Japanese article.
However,...there's this problem that you gave in to easily...I think it doesn't make sense that your prof. prefers the book style. He just simply doesn't "henjai" you that you have to have both book chapter version and paper version of the same thing?
Requirements #2 and #3 make a lot of sense but I still think you should negotiate #1 with your prof. to do a manuscript format thesis (since the dept. is okay with it too!)
Is it possible that he has never seen what it looks like?
I don't buy the argument that people likes to read traditional book-format thesis more.
Because the manuscripts once sandwiched with introductory and conclusion chapters and added lots of appendices including detailed methodology, then the overall content should be the same as the traditional format. Mine even
includes an extra chapter about theoretical foundations (as chapter 2).
Plus...physically...it looks the same from outside! It's a book of the same size and almost the same thickness!
But well, I do not understand the Japanese sometimes. It just doesn't make sense. If he values published paper so much, then why not make things easier for you by allowing you to do the manuscript format thesis?
And go check na and make sure that conference proceeding counts na.
and when I asked about authorship na...I didn't mean that it's a plus na...I meant it was a minus if you have to be the first author for all the papers!
Well, look on the bright side...your workload is not that bad na...it's just the same as any traditional PhD students's anywhere in the world. It's actually even less since many schools requires 3-5 published journal articles. It's just that now that you have a choice to do it another way but you are not allow to choose that better alternative!
Anyway, that's all for now!
P'Yai got nearly all understood.
1. yes
2. yes
3. no. I need to get 2 manuscripts published and the last one at least accepted for publication (with proof).
About book-style dissertation -- I will see what I can do. He has surely seen the manuscript style, but still prefer the book type. There are a few senpai filing for graduation this semester, so let's see if they can help changing anything about that.
Yes, I had it doubled check that conferece proceeding counts. It's the full paper and a special edition for international conference, so it is ok.
For authorship, yes, I know it's a minus to have all papers with first author name. (Most of the requirements here are like that though.) I'm writing only sole-authored stuff... so I have to suffer that anyways.
Ok.. yosh!
อ่าว.. เข้าใจผิดหรอกเหรอ
งง แต่ก็ยังงงอยู่ แต่ก็ไม่เป็นไร ฮ่าๆๆ
ไม่กะเรียนด็อกอยู่แล้ว หุหุ
สู้เค้านะพี่ใหม่ (^0^)/~*
ฮาฮา.. น้องโบว์งงครับ.. พี่เลยเดี๋ยวงงด้วยเลยนี่ ก็หนูเขียนเหมือนเข้าใจว่าพี่เขียนเปเปอร์อันเดียวแล้วก็จบเลยง่ะ มันบ่จ๊ายยย งานเปเปอร์เป็นแค่ "ส่วนเพิ่ม" มาจากวิทยานิพนธ์ทั้งเล่มเท่านั้นแหล่ะ ที่อยากบอก ก่อนเรียนเอกพี่ก็ไม่รู้หรอกว่ามันต้องมีไอ้ "ส่วนเพิ่ม"นี่อ่ะนะ นึกว่าแค่วิทยานิพนธ์อย่างเดียว ตอนนี้เลยได้เพิ่มมาตรึมเลย ตั้งหลักแทบไม่ทัน
เปเปอร์เป็นส่วนเพิ่มของวิทยานิพนธ์เหรอ?
ไม่ใช่ว่าเป็นวิทยานิพนธ์ฉบับย่อเหรอ?
คือว่าวิทยานิพนธ์ควรจะเกี่ยวข้องกับเปเปอร์ทั้ง 3
โดยที่ตัววิทยานิพนธ์อาจจะอธิบายอย่างละเอียด
งั้นรึเปล่า?
หรือถ้าเปเปอร์เป็นส่วนเพิ่ม
ก็ต้องทำเรื่องที่นอกเหนือไปจากตัววิทยานิพนธ์เลยน่ะสิ?
Good luck Mai. I know you can do it!
Ai Ling
Post a Comment