What's about? ---> SCHOOL!!!!
Well, I have been misunderstanding about the criteria to graduate with Ph.D.! I million times checked the syllabus and it said aside from your Ph.D. dissertation, "you are required to have ONE paper publication with a refereed journal". But know what??? NOOOOOOO....... IT IS NOT SO!!!!!!
Well, I was trying to come up with more ideas for what I can do for my future research that would also fulfill the graduation requirement. I came up with 2 options of how to write my dissertation.
1) Get 3 paper published, put them together, write an introduction and a summary to bind them together into one dissertation.
--> I have been rather lucky to have my edited master thesis accepted for a conference presentation and also selected for its proceeding publication. I just need to write 2 more papers and put them together.
OR
2) Write a book-style of dissertation comprises of many small chapters explaining the flow of the whole HUGE research.
--> meaning I need to detach my master thesis into small pieces and add extra researches on each point of the contents.
The two ways are rather different, so I went up to my professor without any appointment, just to get things straight so I can move on working for the research. And guess what??? What I thought was pretty much not what things actually are!!
FIRST:: NO, it's not ONE paper you are required to publish during your PhD course. It's ONE every year!!!! Yes... so I need to publish 2 more to meet graduation criteira!!!
SECOND:: NO!!!! You can't bind the three papers together and make it your disseration. You need to write the whole dissertation in a book style cuz it's actually a requirement to get it turned into a book after you acquired your PhD title!!! <-- but my prof said not that many people can accomplish that.. so well.. we don't have to look to the book publication yet.
I'm not that surprised it turned out this way for dissertation style though cuz I know most of the places require you to write it in a book format. What I'm kinda shocked is that while you have to write your dissertation like that, you have to put them in small papers for journal publication. And it's not only one as I expected. You need THREE of those! + alpha conference presentations. Ouch... !!
Anyways, just put it on the blog to remind myself what I need to get done.
Off to work now ==33
10 comments:
My sugesstion would be to check first the official requirements from department or faculty of graduate studies of the university. Sometimes professors do not know the up-to-date info.
The book format is a traditional way to do it but most of the universities in the world have now moved to encourage a manuscript format since, as you said, you have to get them published anyway. (Besides, they know that journal articles get a wider audience than a thesis)
Also, normally at the time of thesis submission, the manuscripts don't necessarily have to be "accepted for publication". They just need to be at the very least ready to be submitted.
However, usually PhD candidates get at least one paper published before graduation anyway.
And 3 papers for PhD is managable. You have to check though if you have to be the first author for all the three or not.This aspect of requirement varies from department to department.
By the way, I find that writing a journal article is darn darn darn difficult. Don't worry too much about the conference presentation. I have had 8 presentations so far in 4 years but have had only 1 published article! Be prepared!
Best of luck!
P'Yai -- we are speaking of JAPAN (or well, I should say MY Grad. school...) Things are rather traditional here!
My prof said it maybe alright for 3 economic theories (from 3 journal publication) to be put together and make a Ph.D. dissertation, claiming it's the theories in the similar concepts or whatsoever), but he says things are different for the Management side. Also, I recognized people in Japan value book readings more than anything. They always pick up a concept or thoughts from books, and less from journals. That's probably why they require us to get our dissertation published into a book. But I also see that younger professors are concentrating on journals more and more.
My prof said the passing or not passing for graduation requirements are also depending on graduation committee board -- so, on the opposite side to your argument, the syllabus might be less updated than the current debates among professors. I think dissertation board has a power to either pass or fail you anyways. Hey, look at my MA graduation and you would understand there are all these behind-the-scene stuff going on.
Yeah, I think 3 papers are manageable, but while having to think of writing a "book", I still need to focus on publishing my papers?? ARghh~~. Oh yeah, my paper is sole-authored. So no worry about being a second name or so. (It's kinda lonely doing this research alone in the campus! T_T)
Btw, my first paper will be published for the Int'l conference proceedings - special edition (in DEC). So yes, one down. Two more to go!
haha it sounds weird since the beginning (for only 1 paper done)...like i asked you that day!!remember!!! haha but well i know you can do it!!...g luck sis!!
Oh...I thought you already know that too. And I thought that one paper is an 'extra' to the dissertation you'll do. Anyway...gambatte!!! You can still do it!!
Everything can be happened in Kyodai.....
And, as everyone said, you definitely can do it finally.
Never give up to try to find the better ways for your future. It will lead you to the breakthrough, so refresh, and believe in yourself!
สู้ๆ
เรามันคนที่หลีกหนีหนทางแห่ง Ph.D. แล้ว
มิสามารถแนะนำอะไรได้
ฮ่า ๆๆๆๆๆ
เป็นไงล่ะ ทั้งผม ทั้ง พี่....งานเพียบบ
หรือว่าเรา หนีเที่ยวเยอะเกินไปหว่า อิอิ
กรรมตามทัน คิก คิก คิก
ล้อเล่นค๊าบ หนุก ๆ อย่าคิดมาก แค่งานนิดหน่อย จะได้ ว่าสมกะ จบ ด๊อกเกียวไดไง อิอิ
" ชีวิตนี้ไม่สิ้น ก่อดิ้นน กานน ปายย "
Damn...yeah, tht is the part that is getting everybody very busy these days - publishing three papers. I have not started, I have to soon. Hopefully one from my Masters first.
AL
อืม ก็คิดเหมือนกันว่าจบด็อกเตอร์มันไม่น่าจะจบแค่หนึ่งเปเปอร์ล่ะมั้ง
สู้ต่อไปนะพี่สาววววววว
Post a Comment