Sunday, September 24, 2006

Contrast of perspectives (Thai Coup D'Etat)

Just ran across a news clip about Thai Coup D'Etat in my friend's blog and found it should be an interesting thing to show how contrast people can be when viewing the very same scenerio from different perspectives.

First, with the CNN, on the day of the Coup.


Now, with the Thai local channel, a day after the Coup.


I have been getting a lot of questions concerning the situation from many foreign friends. The one thing I realized was this - it's about different perspectives. Most of the people stated their surpriseness on this army movement. They never expected anything like this to happen in a country like Thailand. On the other hand, when we asked the Thais, a lot were not that surprise this day eventually came. Though this is not something we all wish to have, but it wasn't a difficult thing for us to undestand why it happened.

Westerners claimed the action as being anti-democracy. Only little that they knew, the democracy we had hasn't been that liberal for a long while. I like one saying I ran across in YouTube: "Democracy is over-rated. Good governing is under-rated. This is a sad." Maybe there should be a more careful interpretation of what it means by being "democratic" (?). Definitely, it shouldn't be easily associated to only having a constitution!

Let's wait and see how this is to end and what it will lead us to...

p.s. one thing I knew what it led into - a request from many foreign tour groups to visit those streets with tanks and on duty-soldiers that they could stop and take pictures with!! OMG!!! It's turned into a tourist benefit than a loss?? Are you sure it's really a Coup?!?!

3 comments:

*BoW* said...

บอกเพื่อนคนญี่ปุ่นให้ไปถ่ายรูปด้วยแหละ อิอิ
ส่งข้อความมาขอบคุณใหญ่เลย เลยบอกไปว่าอย่าลืมเอาไปอวดเพื่อนที่บ้านนะ เค้าคงอิจฉากัน

สนุกสนานเจรงๆ

Anonymous said...

I think it's how well-informed people are. Forreigners who have never studied well abou Thai history and culture would never be able to imagine the peaceful coup. Those who have never been informed about how bad ThugSin is would never be able to comprehend why Thai people are happy with the coup.

Democracy is not just to get a majority vote. I think there's a group of people who support "deep democracy" which is something I think quite interesting.

Anonymous said...

บางคนบอกว่าทำแบบนี้แล้วเหมือนถอยหลังเข้าคลอง
แต่ทำไมไม่คิดมั่งเนอะ ว่า

ถ้าออกจากจุดเริ่ม แล้วคนนำไม่พาเดินไปตรงๆถูกๆทาง
แต่ดันพาเดินไปผิดๆทางจนหลงไปกลับมาทางตรงๆไม่ถูก
มันก็ไม่น่าจะผิด ที่จะถอยหลังกลับมาที่จุดแรกเริ่มใหม่
แล้วค่อยเดินทางใหม่ อาจจะช้าแต่ก้ดีกว่าปล่อยให้เดินไปผิดๆจนกู่ไม่กลับ....ว่ามะ